- A major version upgrade requires a license upgrade. See the Product Version Mismatch section of the License Management article for more information.
- Review the System Requirements before upgrading. The latest version may require a newer version of Microsoft .NET, which could require restarts during the upgrade process.
- All SQL Sentry components, including the SQL Sentry database, monitoring service(s), and client(s) must be on the same build to work.
- Versions prior to 10 must be step upgraded to 10.1.81 before upgrading to the latest release. If you have version 10.1.81+ you may upgrade directly to the latest version. Please contact the SolarWinds support team to get the older version.
Note: SQL Sentry offers an Enhanced Platform Installer which allows for the automation of upgrades and deployments of the SQL Sentry platform with a command line interface experience. To use the EPI upgrade method, see the EPI Upgrade article
To upgrade your current version of SQL Sentry, complete the following steps:
- Log into the Customer Portal.
- Select the Downloads section, and then download the appropriate installation file.
- Close all connections to the SQL Sentry database. Note: This includes client(s) and monitoring service(s).
- Back up your existing SQL Sentry database.
- Run the new version's installation file on the main SQL Sentry server (the server housing the SQL Sentry monitoring service). This upgrades the SQL Sentry database, local monitoring service, and local client. For more information about installing SQL Sentry, see the Installation topic.
- Run the new version's installation file on all other servers running additional monitoring services. Once the monitoring service has been upgraded, it can be started and begin monitoring.
- Run the new version's installation file on any computer with the client installed.
Success: You have successfully installed the newest version of SQL Sentry for your environment!
New Version Available
Stay up to date with the latest versions of SQL Sentry software. The SQL Sentry client notifies you when a software update is available with a message on the status bar.
Note: The client must have internet access for the version check to work.