Task Factory users running version 2020.1.4 or older (released prior to May 27, 2020): There's an important Task Factory update. Please visit here for more details.
Note: Task Factory can be used in a development environment without a license. A license is required to execute the packages outside of the development environment.
Additional Information: See the Task Factory product page for complete information on licensing options, prices, and models (i.e. which licenses are per server or ADF node).
SolarWinds License Manager
Your SolarWinds Task Factory license is managed through the SolarWinds License Manager.
- Use the Windows Start menu to open SolarWinds License Manager.
- Select Activate to add your full license. Note: Use Upgrade if you are updating an existing license, not a trial evaluation.
- Enter the Activation Key, then select Next. Note: There are options to use a proxy server or activate your license offline as well.
- You must register Task Factory to continue. Enter your contact information, then select Next to continue.
- Select Finish to leave the activation wizard and return to the SolarWinds License Manager.
- This copy of Task Factory is now licensed.
Note: The available Action is now Upgrade. In this example, there's a 1 after SolarWinds Task Factory, indicating that this key activated a license that is good for one server. If you purchase additional licenses, use the Upgrade option to apply a new activation key.
Through the course of validating your license in Task Factory, you can run into licensing errors. This section provides an overview for these common errors and ways to troubleshoot them. If you have a licensing issue, it's important to view your log file for more insight into the issue. Select View Log to open the LicenseManagerLog.
Online License Activation Failure TLS Version Mismatch
If your log file reports that the client and server can't communicate because they don't have a common algorithm, it's possible that your license manager has a TLS version mismatch. You can troubleshoot this error by completing the following steps:
1. Close the SolarWinds License Manager.
2. Open the SolarWinds License Manager program files at C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds License Manager.
3. Open the LicenseManager.exe.config configuration file.
4. Add the following code to the .config file before the </configuration> tag:
<runtime> <AppContextSwitchOverrides value="Switch.System.Net.DontEnableSystemDefaultTlsVersions=false" /> </runtime>
5. Save the changes to the .config file, and re-enter your license into the SolarWinds License Manager.
Deprecated License Management
Deprecated: This section applies only to Task Factory versions prior to 2021.8.
SentryOne Task Factory License Manager
Updating Your SentryOne Task Factory License
Older versions of Task Factory have different paths to the license manager.
%Program Files (x86)%\SentryOne\Task Factory\PragmaticWorks.LicenseManager.exe
1. Open the License Manager, and then select Install a License.
2. Select Use an activation key, enter the license key in the Activation Key text box, and then select Activate.
Your license has been activated.
Version 2016.2.1 path:
%ProgramFiles (x86)%\Pragmatic Works\Task Factory\LicenseManager\PragmaticWorks.LicenseManager.exe
Version 3.2 path:
%ProgramFiles%\Pragmatic Works\Task Factory\TaskFactoryRegistration.exe
1. Before installing Task Factory 3.2, run the Task Factory Registration application (located at %ProgramFiles%\Pragmatic Works\Task Factory\TaskFactoryRegistration.exe), and copy the Activation Key.
2. After the activation key is copied, uninstall the current version of Task Factory, and then install Version 3.2 ( or higher).
Important: For current versions (2016.2.1 or later), run the new Pragmatic Works License Manager application again (current release is located at %Program Files (x86)%\SentryOne\Task Factory\PragmaticWorks.LicenseManager.exe) then select Install A License. All previous versions need to use the same registration tool found in step one.
3. When the Licensing window opens, select I have an activation key, and then select OK to continue.
4. Paste or enter the activation key that was copied, and then select Activate to install your license.
License Activation & Communication Ports
You may need to open a port (or add an exception) on a secure server to allow communication with our licensing servers. This requires the standard HTTPS port 443 and the activation URL for the exception is
Task Factory Licensing Changes
Since the release of version 3.2 of Task Factory we use a licensing technology that requires every license to be updated. This means that if you have a current license, you need to run the Task Factory Registration tool with your current license key (if you have one) and update your license.
Note: If your installation of Task Factory shows the (BIDS Only) message at the bottom then your machine does not have a license for the product, and can only be used be for development purposes. A license is needed when you execute an SSIS package containing a Task Factory component outside of BIDS.