Configuring SMTP Settings in SQL Sentry
To configure SMTP settings in SQL Sentry, open the Navigator pane ( View > Navigator), and then select the Global Settings node (Configuration > Global Settings) to open SQL Sentry Monitoring Service Settings. The Alerting tab displays by default.
In the Alerting tab, use the drop-down SMTP Server box to select an existing SMTP server, or select to open the Select an SMTP Server dialog box, and configure a new SMTP server.
Note: If using localhost, keep in mind this is the local SMTP server on the machine where the monitoring service is installed because it's responsible for sending all notifications. The SQL Sentry client doesn't send any notifications.
Note: Contact your network administrator to ensure that the IP address of the monitoring service computer has been granted both Connect and Relay permissions for the specified SMTP server.
Adding a New SMTP Server
1. From the Alerting tab, select to open the Select an SMTP Server dialog box.
2. Select New to open the SMTP Server Editor dialog box.
3. Enter the IP address or the domain name of the SMTP Server in the SMTP Server box. Enter the email that you want to send the notifications in the From Address box. Enter your security credentials in the SMTP Security tab.
4. Select Test to open the Send SMTP Test Email box, and then enter an email in the slot provided. Select Send to send the test email to the desired address.
5. Select Save on the toolbar to save the SMTP settings.
Important: For the most accurate SMTP test, use the SQL Sentry client installed on the server computer to send the test message. If you use a SQL Sentry client on a different computer, such as your local workstation, the results may differ. For example, your SMTP server may allow relay from your workstation but not from the SQL Sentry Server computer, in which case the test from your workstation would succeed; but the SQL Sentry Server would be unable to deliver notifications.
Note: Configure multiple SMTP Servers in an SMTP Server group to use SQL Sentry's failover capabilities. For more information about configuring an SMTP Server group, and the SMTP Server group failover process, see the Monitoring Service SMTP Configuration article.