EOL: An end of life announcement has been made for Database Mapper on February 28, 2023. See the Solarwinds End of Life Policy for more information.
Database Mapper Documentation Page
The Documentation page displays the most recent documentation for your selected solution by default.
Note: Select the Configure Snapshot button for the desired solution on the Solutions dashboard to generate new documentation for that solution.
Opening the Documentation Page
Open documentation for your solution through one of the following methods:
Select on the Solutions dashboard for the desired solution.
Select the Documentation tab, then select the desired solution from the drop-down list.
On the Documentation page in Database Mapper, you have complete control over your uploaded data. Display the data you want to see by completing one of the following steps:
Select to expand the nodes, then select the desired link from the documentation tree on the left of the page.
Select a link in the documentation on the right to drill down into desired sections.
View your documentation at a specified point in time by completing the following steps:
1. Select the view button (Current Version) to expand the documentation view options.
Note: The view button displays as Current Version, or a specified date and time depending on the selected view.
2. Select the Point in time view, then enter the desired time.
3. Select OK to update the documentation.
Success: You are now viewing your historical documentation!
Note: Return to the current view of your documentation at any time by selecting the view button, then selecting Current.
Searching for Data
Note: Starting with Version 2021.8, any search terms that you search for will include results for your term in the Documentation and in the Data Dictionary values. You can further condense your search by selecting Documentation Only, Data Dictionary Only, or a Data Dictionary Category from the dropdown menu.
Search for specific metadata within your environment by using the Documentation page search bar.
Select the desired search parameters from the drop-down menu. Enter a specific search term into the search bar, then select Search to display your results.
Select a link from the Search results to display the data related to the search.
Select Back to Contents from the search results window to return to the documentation tree view.
Select Back to Last Search Results to return to the search results on the left side view.
Searching Data Dictionary Categories
Select the desired Data Dictionary Category from the drop-down menu. Enter the Data Dictionary value into the search bar, then select Search to display your results.
Select a link from the Search results to display the data related to the search.
Use the Database Mapper Documentation page to compare your documentation against previous snapshot versions, and see the changes made to your solution and solutions items over time.
|Opens the Version History for the selected object. Select two versions different versions, and then select compare to view any differences between the versions.|
|Opens the Side By Side view for the selected object. The Side By Side view displays the last collected snapshot of the object, and the Current version of the object in an easy to view comparison screen. Select different versions on the Version History tab.|
If there have been changes made to your Solution, you can view these changes by completing the following steps:
1. Open the Database Mapper Documentation page, then select a Solution.
2. Navigate to the desired object through the solution explorer, or search for an object.
3. Select Version History to open the Version History page. Select the object versions you want to compare, then select Compare to display the Side by Side View comparison.
Note: There needs to be captured differences in the documentation to use the Documentation Version History feature. Database Mapper displays the following prompt if there are no documented differences:
Note: In this example, the difference between the object versions can be seen in the available databases.
4. Select the Diff View tab to display the object with highlighted changes.
Note: Text in red has been removed from the object , and text in green has been added to the object.
Note: To use the Comparison feature, the solution snapshots need to be generated by a remote agent from Version 2022.2 or later. See the release notes for more information.
You can compare two different solutions by selecting the Comparison button. This can be useful for comparing similar solutions that may be used in different environments. For example, you might have two SQL Server solutions; one for your development environment, and the second for your production environment. When comparing two solutions, you can recognize similarities and discover differences with the following icons:
|The solution items are equal in both solutions.|
|The solution items are not equal in both solutions.|
|The solution item is only present in the left solution.|
|The solution item is only present in the right solution.|
To compare two applicable solutions, complete the following steps:
1. Select the Comparison button to open the Document Comparison view.
2. Select a solution to compare for the left comparison, then select a solution to compare for the right comparison.
3. Select Change Left Start Point, specify a left starting point, then select update.
4. Select Change right Start Point, specify a right starting point, then select update.
5. Compare the two presented solutions.
Important: Selecting meta data from the Comparison displays the documentation from both Solutions at the bottom of the screen. The Documentation displays in Side By Side View by default.
Select Side by Side View to display the selected documentation in the Diff View.
Select Diff View to display the selected documentation in Side By Side View.
You can filter your document comparison further with the following options:
|Remove Equal items from the comparison.|
|Remove Not Equal items from the comparison.|
|Remove Left Only items from the comparison.|
|Remove Right Only items from the comparison.|
This feature is not available with Essentials or Standard licensing. If you'd like to use this feature, please visit our product pricing page to learn more.
Use the Jump to Lineage button to display the data lineage for your selected documentation object.
Note: If there is no Lineage for your selected Documentation, Database Mapper navigates to the closest parent object.
|Opens the Lineage page focused on the selected documentation object.|
Navigate to your desired documentation object, and then select Jump to Lineage to display the lineage for that object.
You can export the current version, or a point in time version of your documentation for any selected Solution. Save the exported documentation for your records, or distribute the exported documentation across your team and business leaders. Begin exporting your documentation by completing the following steps:
1. Select Solutions to open the Database Mapper Solutions Dashboard.
2. Select the Export Documentation button and the select Export Documentation to open the Documentation Export window.
3. Select the version of the documentation that you want to export. Select Current Version, and then select Point in Time to select a previous documentation version. Select a date and time from the calendar, and then select Ok to save your selection.
Note: The current version of the documentation is selected by default.
4. Select Request Export to begin exporting the documentation.
Success: You have requested to export your documentation! View the progress of your export on the Task History page.
Downloading Exported Documentation
After your Documentation Export request has completed, you can download your documentation. Download your documentation by completing the following steps:
1. Select Solutions to open the Solutions Dashboard.
2. Select the Export Documentation button, then select View Exports for the desired solution to open the Documentation Exports page.
3. Select the download button for the desired documentation version, then select save to save the documentation to your machine.
Additional Information: See the Documentation Exports section of the Solutions Dashboard article to learn more about exports.