Moving the SentryOne Database to a new SQL Server Instance
Move the SentryOne database to a new SQL Server instance by completing the following steps:
- Obtain the new Server Name or Group_ID that you plan to host your SentryOne datbase on. This is used to regenerate your license key because it's based on one of these values.
- If you plan to use a standalone or Failover Cluster instance for hosting your SentryOne database then you can get the Server Name by running the following T-SQL statement SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('SERVERNAME').
- If you plan to host your SentryOne database in an Availability Group then you can get the Group_ID by running the following T-SQL statement: SELECT group_id as AG_ID, name
- Login to the Customer Portal and go to the License Maintenance section. Select View / Modify Existing SentryOne Licenses and complete the following:
- In the Perpetual Licenses section your SentryOne license is listed. Select the plus symbol next to the instance name to expand the license management options.
- Select the License Configuration tab.
- In the SQL Server Instance Name field enter the new instance name from step one.
- In the Reason For Change field, enter a reason for the change.
- Select Update and the license is automatically emailed to you.
- Once you've received the new key, shut down all SentryOne clients and SentryOne monitoring services.
- Perform a full backup of the SentryOne database.
- Set the SentryOne Databases to Offline.
- Restore the SentryOne database to the new location that's used to host the SentryOne database.
- Open the SentryOne client on any machine with a SentryOne monitoring service. After failing to locate the SentryOne database, the Connect window appears. Enter the new location of the SentryOne database. The SentryOne client alerts you that it needs to be restarted to connect to the new SentryOne database. Upon restarting, you are asked for the new license key.
- After successfully applying the license and starting the SentryOne client, run the Service Configuration Utility, pointing the monitoring service at the new SentryOne database. The Service Configuration Utility is found in the SentryOne program group. After running the Service Configuration Utility, restart the monitoring service.
- Once you have validated that the SentryOne platform is working as planned with the database on the new server, you can remove the old database from the server that was hosting it.
Note: Repeat steps seven and eight on all other machines with SentryOne monitoring services. You won't be asked for the license again. You may now start any other SentryOne client and enter the new SentryOne database location when asked.
Important: Don't forget to set up SentryOne database maintenance on the new server.
Removing an Old Server From the All Instances View
Remove an old server from the All Instances view to stop prompts about it when opening the SentryOne client by completing the following steps:
- Select the server name of the server you'd like to remove in the Please Specify the Server Name drop-down list, and then press Shift + Delete.
- The new server should now be the only one listed in the drop-down list. Select the Connect command and connect to the new installation.
Success: The next time you open the client it will automatically connect to the new installation.