Moving the SentryOne Database to a new SQL Server Instance
Move the SentryOne database to a new SQL Server instance by completing the following steps:
- Retrieve the instance name for the new SQL Server by running SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('SERVERNAME') against it. Your license key is based on this instance name.
- Login to the Customer Portal and go to the License Maintenance section. Select View / Modify Existing SentryOne Licenses and complete the following:
- In the Perpetual Licenses section your SentryOne license is listed. Select the plus symbol next to the instance name to expand the license management options.
- Select the License Configuration tab.
- In the SQL Server Instance Name field enter the new instance name from step one.
- In the Reason For Change field, enter a reason for the change.
- Select Update and the license is automatically emailed to you.
- Once you've received the new key, shut down all SentryOne clients and SentryOne monitoring services.
- Perform a full backup of the SentryOne database.
- Detach the SentryOne database.
- Move the associated data and log files.
- Attach the SentryOne database to the new server.
- Open the SentryOne client on any machine with a SentryOne monitoring service. After failing to locate the SentryOne database, the Connect window appears. Enter the new location of the SentryOne database. The SentryOne client alerts you that it needs to be restarted to connect to the new SentryOne database. Upon restarting, you will be asked for the new license key.
- After successfully applying the license and starting the SentryOne client, run the Service Configuration Utility, pointing the monitoring service at the new SentryOne database. The Service Configuration Utility is found in the SentryOne program group. After running the Service Configuration Utility, restart the monitoring service.
Note: Repeat steps eight and nine on all other machines with SentryOne monitoring services. You won't be asked for the license again. You may now start any other SentryOne client and enter the new SentryOne database location when asked.
Important: Don't forget to set up SentryOne database maintenance on the new server.
Removing an Old Server From the All Instances View
Remove an old server from the All Instances view to stop prompts about it when opening the SentryOne client by completing the following steps:
- Select the server name of the server you'd like to remove in the Please Specify the Server Name drop-down list, and then press Shift + Delete.
- The new server should now be the only one listed in the drop-down list. Select the Connect command and connect to the new installation.
Success: The next time you open the client it will automatically connect to the new installation.