Note: As a reminder, conditions describe the various states of any monitored objects (e.g. % Processor Time > 90%), and actions determine what happens when a condition is met (e.g. an email is sent).
The conditions displayed in the Conditions pane change depending on which node or object is selected in the Navigator pane. If you don't see the Conditions pane once you have selected your desired node in the Navigator pane, select View > Conditions.
- Select the shared groups node to see globally applied conditions in the Conditions pane.
- Select any applicable object level below the shared groups node to see two specific sets of applied conditions in the Conditions pane.
Conditions pane sections
|Inherited||The top section is the Inherited section that shows you any applied conditions that are being passed down to the current level.|
|Explicit||The Explicit section shows you applied conditions that have been set at the current level. Each action that you set up in your environment has an associated behavior that controls how the action is carried out relative to any inherited actions. See the following table for more information about Action Behavior:|
Additional Information: For more information about the Conditions pane, see the Conditions pane article.
Tuning Conditions and Actions
To avoid a noisy alerting system, we recommend that you tune the conditions and actions to refine the amount of alerts generated to the ones that are meaningful to you.
See the following resources for guidance on alert tuning:
- SQL Server Alert Tuning Basics with SQL Sentry
- SQL Sentry Tips & Tricks: Tuning Advisory Conditions
- SQL Sentry Tips & Tricks: Common Alert Tuning Examples
- Alerting on a Call Schedule with SQL Sentry
- A Million Little Things: Remediation
Adding a New Action
Add a new Action to your desired node by completing the following steps:
1. Open the Conditions pane (View > Conditions), then select the desired node in the Navigator pane to begin adding a new action.
2. Select Add to open the Action Selector window.
3. Expand the applicable object and condition. Use the checkbox(es) to select which actions should be taken in response to the condition being met, then select OK to save your changes.
Additional Information: For a complete list of available actions and how to configure them, see the Actions article.
Changing Inherited Conditions
Change the behavior for an Inherited condition by completing the following steps
1. Open the Conditions pane (View> Conditions), then select the desired node in the Navigator pane.
2. Select the condition you want to change in the Inherited section of the Conditions pane, then select Disable, Override, or Combine.
Note: When an inherited condition is overridden or disabled, it appears in the Inherited section, but its text is grayed-out, and its status is Overridden.
Additional Information: For more information about actions and conditions, see the Alerting and Response System topic.