|Data Generation helps the BI developer create a comprehensive, error free, and resilient business intelligence solution. Data Generation investigates a database table schema and offers options about populating the investigated column with data. These options might include inserting values at the minimum and maximum allowed values for the column and using NULL values.|
- Automatically generate valid data for a given schema
- Handle foreign key integrity for generated data
- Configurable volume of data
Using Data Generation
1. Select Data Generation to open the Data Generation page. Select Target tables to open the Connect to Database window.
2. Enter a new server connection, or select an existing connection from the drop down list. Select your security method, and enter the applicable credentials. Select the desired database from the drop-down list. Select Ok to save your selection, and begin loading tables.
3. Select the Target tables area to open the Add Table window. Select the table(s) where you want to add data, then select OK.
Note: Data Generation automatically adds the required tables for your selection.
4. Select No data providers yet to open the Add Data Source window.
Note: If you are only generating data for one table, you don't need to select a data provider. If you are generating data for multiple tables with multiple foreign key relationships, you must select a data provider to maintain referential integrity.
5. Select a data source from the drop-down list. Select your data provider, enter a meaningful name for the provider, and then specify the database connection.
6. Enter the query to retrieve primary and foreign keys, and any other columns that would be required. Select Test to make sure your query can retrieve the results, and then select OK to save your selections.
7. Select the table that uses the selected column as its foreign key in the overview tab to open the table and display its columns and their options.
8. Select Edit next to the column that needs to reference a column in the data provider query. Select Add New from the Data Source drop-down menu, and then select your added data provider.
9. Select the Output drop-down list, and then select the column that's returned by the data provider that corresponds with the column in the table.
Note: You can edit the table options. Options include using existing data, removing all data before it's generated, changing the number of rows generated, and changing the batch size.
10. Select Generate Data to begin generating data in your selection(s).
Note: This table must exist in the target database to generate data.